What’s on in London in May
London Weather in May
May is an absolutely perfect time to visit London. During the days temperatures will range from 12°-15°C/58°-68°F and from 4°-7°C/40°-50°F at night. In general, the sun will be shining making the Capital look even more beautiful than normal. As is standard in London, there may be a few showers here and there so be sure to bring a brollie with you!
May Events in London
- 2015 European Rugby Challenge and Champion Cup Finals – If you fancy watching some of the world’s most elite rugby be sure to buy tickets to the European rugby finals at Twickenham Stadium on May 1st and 2nd.
- Covent Garden May Fayre and Puppet Festival– Covent Garden is one of the most vibrant areas of the city. On May 10th it is set to become a bit more colorful as puppeteers from around the globe will descend on this area of London to celebrate the annual puppet festival held at St. Paul’s Churchyard, Covent Garden.
- Bend it like Beckham– This box office hit comes to the London stage at the West End’s Phoenix Theater on May 15th. It is a story about two teenage girls who work towards their dream of becoming professional football players making it a perfect musical to enjoy with your family!
- Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre– May 15th kicks off the Regent Park Open Air Theater season! Shows range from Shakespeare classics to musicals, dramas and comedies. This venue is unique because every performance is set under the stars.
- Chelsea Flower Show– This annual flower show is undoubtedly the most famous flower show in the world. From May 19th through 23rd the grounds of the Royal Hospital Chelsea are transformed into a horticulturist’s paradise!
- Art15– Kensington Olympia hosts the Art15 show from May 21-23rd. This international art show focuses on emerging markets in the art world and attracts over 30,000 visitors annually.
- FA Cup Final – On May 30th Wembley Stadium will host the final game of the FA cup football competition. The FA Cup is the largest domestic competition between the various tiers of English football so come out to Wembley to support your old favourite football team or to help cheer on the underdog!
May 2015: Special Events
On Saturday, May 2nd join other music lovers for a free concert performed by the London Symphony Orchestra in Trafalgar Square. The London Symphony Orchestra Open Air Classic is a free event which features music by the mid-last century Russian composer, Dmitri Shostakovich. Feel free to bring blankets and a picnic basket to Trafalgar Square to enjoy while listening to the beautiful music. You will also be able to watch the orchestra play on the various large screens erected throughout the square. One thing is for sure, there is not a bad seat in the house! The time of the performance is yet to be confirmed and Charing Cross Station is the nearest tube station to Trafalgar Square. Be sure to check the London Symphony Orchestra website for updates.